George Washington White
George Washington White, scholar and Methodist minister, was USC's third president. Rev. White held A.B. and M.A. degrees from Cornell College in Mt. Vernon, Iowa. He migrated to Southern California in 1884, where he served as a Methodist minister until 1892, when he was appointed presiding elder of the Los Angeles District of the Methodist Episcopal Conference. A scholar as well as a clergyman, his published works included "The Historic Christ."
White was elected to the USC presidency by the board of directors on Sept. 27, 1895. No records of the inaugural ceremony have been preserved.
White moved to simplify the USC administration. The two existing corporations of the university and the College of Liberal Arts were merged as the "University of Southern California" in November 1895. A 21-member board of trustees replaced the old board of directors. Enrollment increased to more than 500 students, additional facilities were added and the library was enlarged. The School of Music made noteworthy progress, and the athletics program was expanded. The Law Center and the School of Dentistry were founded. In addition to serving as president, White held the post of dean of the College of Liberal Arts. He resigned in 1899 to return to the ministry.